If you didn’t already know ABC Kids Expo is the premier juvenile products specialty show in the nation with more than 900 exhibitors – wow! Our team of dedicated Itsabelly baby planners scanned over one million square feet of exhibit space at ABC Kids Expo last week and vetted products for the best “green (non-toxic)” baby and mama products on the market to consider for Itsabelly’s “Seal of Excellence”.
As a company who services new and expecting parents our primary concern is reviewing the safest products that baby may put in her mouth, place on her skin or affects her air quality. These products were chosen because we believe they were made with the safest materials possible (and a few aren’t even officially on the market yet)! We are very excited to share our unique and comprehensive green baby product list with you!
Quite honestly, there were sooo many great products we adored but we chose our winners based on the following categories: use of non-toxic materials, safety, innovation, quality ,user friendliness and style. We have to admit that there was no way possible we could visit every booth at ABC but we did our best until our poor feet were tuckered out! And granted in the green/ non-toxic baby stroller and car seat category there are just a very few companies focused on this key feature so we consider them true gems in the industry! These companies have received our “Seal of Excellence” because they truly deserve it for all of their hard work, hooray!!
Please take a peek at our list and share your comments. If you have feedback or just want to give our list props by re-tweeting or posting – we welcome you to! Or maybe you have other products you want us to consider for our “Seal of Excellence” in 2011. Either way, we love hearing from you!
Stay tuned for more of our ABC faves in two more categories…”child safety” and “baby products we just plain old LOVE”!
Green/Non-toxic Baby Gear
Orbit Baby Stroller Travel System G2
We love Orbit Baby’s Stroller Travel System G2 because it’s truly an innovative product made with great style but what’s most important is that it’s made of the safest materials with none of the ickies!
Stuff to know:
- orbitgreen™ : Certified Fabric – The first car seat with fabrics and foam certified clean by Oeko-Tex® Standard 100, ensuring they are easier on your baby’s skin
- safe flame retardants: Orbit Baby car seats meets all applicable flame retardancy standards (NHTSA FMVSS 302 and California TB 117) without the potentially harmful chemicals, like PBBs and PBDEs, used in most other car seats
We also wanted to be two years old again so we could ride on the new Orbit Baby Sidekick Stroller Board which can be used with children up to 50 lbs.
Sidekick benefits include:
- Fun: the only stroller board that allows a “skateboard” side-riding position for kids
- Grows with your family: one or two Sidekicks allow for a second and third child to ride along the Orbit Baby Stroller G2
- Comfort: side-riding position accommodates tall children without the stroller’s handlebars in their way and gives parents unobstructed walking while strolling. Also, with a child on the Sidekick, a younger child can ride comfortably in any Orbit Baby seat, in any strolling position (including the Stroller Seat G2 in reclined, forward- and parent-facing positions)
- Convenience: the Sidekick flips up and stays out of the way when the toddler wants to walk, and the Orbit Baby Stroller Frame G2 can still easily fold with a Sidekick attached
- OrbitGreen™: PVC-free Material – all materials, including wood treatment, gripping texture tape and adhesive, are carefully selected to be PVC-free; all Sidekick materials are also phthalate-free
More information available on our website: http://www.orbitbaby.com/en/products/sidekick-stroller-
Price: $120 (Sidekick), $900 (Stroller Travel System G2)
The Overachiever by Q Collection Junior
We love Q Collection Junior for their ingenuity! An entire nursery in one box and the purest of materials goes into making their furniture – seriously! So, guess what? You’re not going to smell those toxic fumes from any of the furniture they manufacture. We were thrilled to get a sneek peak at their new product line during the show so this item isn’t even officially out yet but incase you want to pre-order you can!
Stuff to know:
Overachiever: all-in-one Bassinet / Crib / Toddler bed
Everything you need to take your child well into the toddler years. An entire nursery….in one box, includes Bassinet (rocking or not), Crib (rocking or not), Changer, Daybed, Toddler bed. Removeable rockers, rocker stops, bassinet mattress and changing tray included.
- Hand-crafted in the USA
- Greenguard certified for superior indoor air quality (we were the first to receive this certification for children’s cribs)
- Only children’s furniture company endorsed by leading nonprofit on children’s environmental health – Healthy Child, Healthy World
- 100% elimination of toxic chemicals including polyurethane, formaldehyde, phthalates and lead
- Non-toxic, water based finish, free of VOC health hazards
- Constructed with 100% locally & responsibly-sourced solid ash
- Packaging – redesigned using only renewable, biodegradable materials
- Fixed side rails, Mattress support adjusts to four heights
- taking pre-orders by phone / delivers in late November 2010
- call Q Collection Junior at 800-775-0994
Website: www.qcollectionjunior.com (Overachiever not yet on site)
Naturepedic New Lightweight & Classic Ultra Organic Crib Mattress
- Promote a Healthy Environment for Your Baby or Child
Baby and Children’s mattresses typically use materials such as vinyl/PVC and polyurethane foam which release questionable chemicals over time. These materials and chemicals have been eliminated in the No-Compromise Organic Baby Crib Mattress. Babies in particular spend up to 70% of their early life sleeping and playing on a crib mattress. Your baby’s health and safety should not be negotiable. This mattress has also been tested for chemical emissions and certified by GREENGUARD® to meet their strict standards for children.
- Premium Organic Cotton Waterproof Cover
Features a luxurious organic cotton fabric with an easy-to-clean clear food grade 100% polyethylene waterproof coating. Polyethylene is an excellent alternative to the vinyl/PVC found in nearly all crib mattresses. Polyethylene is an environmentally friendly plastic used throughout the food packaging industry for its purity and non-toxic properties. Provides the ultimate non-toxic waterproof and stain resistant mattress cover.
Read more: www.naturepedic.com
Swaddle Designs Organic zzipme Sack
- Organic Eco-fleece fabric with soft satin trim
- Exclusive 2-way zipper opens from the top and the bottom (patent pending)
- Opens from top making baby easy to access
- Opens from bottom keeping baby snugly during diaper changes
- Wearable blanket can be used when baby is ready to transition from swaddling
- Has a TOG rating of 1.5 which is appropriate for temperatures of 68-72 degrees F. Please note: most medical experts recommend a sleep environment of 65-70 degrees F.
- 80% Certified Organic Cotton, 20% recycled polyester
- Machine Washable
- Award Winner
- Proudly made in USA
Green/Non-toxic Night Light
Boon’s Glo Nightlight with Portable Balls
Our team fell in love with Boon’s unique interactive nightlight! As always Boon hands down every year consistently comes up with the most innovative design (using safe materials) and we went GA GA over Glo! It’s not yet on the market but keeps your eyes open for your local stores to carry it!
“Kids will beg you to turn off the lights because that’s when Glo really shines. This multi-colored, interactive nightlight has removable, illuminated Glo balls that turn a night time game of catch into something extraordinary. And there’s nothing electronic in them, so they don’t get warm and they won’t break. You can even tuck them into bed with your child. The glow fades to dark after 30 minutes, helping them fall asleep. Bonus: 95% effective at keeping monsters away all night long.” – Boon
Stuff to know:
- Multi-color nightlight
- Select your favorite color with sliding lever or keep them circulating
- Portable Glo balls charge quickly,” as they require very little charging.
- Phosphorescent balls glow up to 30 minutes when removed
- Low energy L.E.D. base
- 9 volt power adapter included
- BPA-free, Phthalate-free and PVC-free
- Recommended age: All ages
- Dimensions: 8.2″ x 8.5″ x 9.8″
Green/Non-toxic Breast Feeding Accessories
Hygeia Enjoye Electric Breast Pump
Finally, a breast pump you can share with your sister or best friend and not have to worry about bacteria! Plus it’s made of BPA/DEHP free materials. And drum roll please…you can recycle it! For just these unique reasons alone why wouldn’t we give Hygeia two thumbs up!
Stuff to know:
- Features the unique Hygeia CARE Button for Customized, Audio, Recording, Experience so you can record your baby or other sound to enhance your breastpumping experience
- Offers single or double pumping flexibility
- Electric or battery operation with the included internal battery pack. The rechargeable battery is ideal for battery-dependent pumpers
- Green Breastpump, Can be shared by multiple mothers when each has her own personal accessory set
- Recycle the EnJoye when you no longer need it. See recycling instructions.
- Mimics your baby’s unique suckling patterns with customizable speed and pressure controls
- Safe, because all parts that come into contact with breastmilk are
Green/Non-toxic Maternity Wear
Bamboobies Nursing Pads
Why wouldn’t a breastfeeding mom want safer and softer nursing pads laying on her breasts that could be re-usable!? There was no question that Bamboobies met all of the criteria we were looking for when we chose our winners! The pads are made of organic cotton and bamboo with great absorbency as well as super soft. We’ve heard from users that “they are much thinner, just as absorbent, and much less noticeable through your clothes!”
Price: $29.99 (4 pairs)
Green/Non Toxic Post Partum Accessories
Luna Pad Post Partum Kit
Ok, as a woman going through your monthly cycle is such a personal issue and we all know it’s not glamorous at all when you go through hormone changes, bloating and tender breasts etc. but it’s a fact of life! Way back in the day women used cloth material to help with their cycle and now lunapads.com is bringing us back to the basics with their completely eco-friendly line of women’s feminine care products. We were a bit skeptical (& grossed out) at first but if you truly want to save the feminine hygiene products from piling up in the landfill (like disposable diapers do) then Lunapads is a perfect option!
Their Postpartum Kit is specially designed for postpartum use and includes more liners than their other kits to accommodate very heavy flow. The pads in this kit are also great for overnight use once you’ve returned to your regular menstrual cycle.
1 Heavy Pad with 1 Heavy Wing Liner and 2 Heavy Trifold Liners
1 Long Pad with 1 Long Basic Liner and 2 Long Wing Liners
Green/Non-toxic Child Proofing
Edge by Rhoost
We love supporting companies who’s primary goal is to keep a children out of harms way. Rhoost does this perfectly with their research and design when it comes to child proofing products with an eco twist that no other company really focuses on. Not only are their products eco-friendly but they look sleek so if you don’t want that chunky, white plastic piece that stands out like a sore thumb on your cabinets Rhoost is for you! We adore the Sling Guard – the photo just says it all!
Stuff to know:
A modern take on a classic product, the Rhoost Edge turns sharp edges into furniture fashion statements, keeping your little ones safe, your tables unharmed and your personal style intact. Features screw- and adhesive-free installation.
Price: $14.99 (4 pack)
Ergo Baby Organic Carrier
Three words = Ergo Baby Carrier! Need we say more? Where ever we go we almost always run into a mom or dad who’s wearing an Ergo. Review boards everywhere speak of the Ergo so all we’re going to tell you here is their Organic Carrier is wonderful!
Stuff to know:
- Ergonomic design
- 100% organic cotton twill with 100% organic cotton sateen lining and hood
- 100% cotton organic batting in body of carrier to soften edges
- One inch, high density foam in shoulder straps
- Quarter inch high density neoprene foam in waist belt
- High Quality buckles tested by SGS
- Waist belt circumference from 25″ to 43″
- Fits from 5′ to 6.5′ body height with adjustable shoulder and chest straps
- Sleeping hood with elastic, adjusts in length for growth of baby
- High quality webbing, matched to carrier color
- Reinforced stitching used at all fabric intersections
- Interior rip-stop reinforcements at critical intersections
- Durability/strength tested up to 90 pounds
- Machine washable – cold, gentle cycles, mild detergent, no bleach. Dry in low heat
Green/ Non-toxic Skincare
Angel Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
No question in our minds that Earth Mama Angel Baby is an Itsabelly favorite! We LOVE all of their products because simply put they have ZERO toxins. There is tremendous work in researching every ingredient that goes into Earth Mama’s products which you can trust are pure and healthy for your little bean! Angel Baby Shampoo and Body Wash will make you want to scoop your baby up after a bath and never let him go! And it won’t be just cause you love him to death but because he’ll smell so delicious! We’ll also let you in on a little secret, mamas like to bathe in it too! If you didn’t already know Earth Mama Angel Baby heard our little secret and just launched Happy Mama Body Wash which we can’t wait to get our hands on!
Price: $10.95 (5.3 ounces)
Eco Store Laundry Powder (plant based)
Eco Store’s Plant Based Laundry Powder was an easy winner in our book because it’s made of simple mineral salts and plant-based ingredients which make it easy to clean even the filthiest clothes. Its natural lemon fragrance will not harm or irritate the skin. Who wouldn’t want a safe, healthy alternative for you and your planet?
- Palm and coconut based non-ionic and anionic surfactants
- Silicates and carbonates (simple mineral salts)
- Citrates (from citrus)
- Cellulose (plant based)
- Sodium percarbonate (oxygen producing whitener)
- Natural lemon verbena oil
Price: $10.91 (35.3 ounces)
Green/ Non-toxic Feeding
OXO Sprout Highchair
We all wanted to have a baby just so that we could buy the OXO Sprout highchair for our babies! It looks great, it’s easy to clean, it coverts into a youth chair and is PVC, Phthalate, BPA-free – need we say more? Hurry and put this on your baby registry list because it’s coming out soon!
Stuff to know:
- 3 levels of seat height and depth adjustment that grow with the child
- For children from 6 months to 36 months, Sprout is a high chair with two seat height settings plus crotch post, 5-point harness and tray
- Converts to a youth chair for children from 3 to 5 years when the seat is adjusted to the lowest setting and crotch post, tray and straps are removed
- 4 footrest settings adjust independently of seat height
- Tool-free adjustability of seat height, seat depth and footrest
- One-handed tray adjustment
- 5-point harness for added stability and security
- Foam cushions lend support and comfort
- Chair is scaled for dining table height
- All Chair surfaces are easy to clean and cushions are removable
- Complies with ASTM and CPSIA standards
- Chair and cushion are PVC, phthalate and BPA free
- Dimensions of Sprout Chair are 24 ¼ in x 19 in x 37 in
- Available in orange/birch , taupe/birch and green/walnut
Think Baby Straw Cup
Think Baby’s Straw Cup isn’t even out yet but Itsabelly got a sneek peak at the show and we love their new cup because it has the ability to go from baby bottle to sippy cup to straw cup all in one! This furthers the company’s commitment to provide parents highly functional and economical solutions that’s nice on the pocket book. Think Baby’s BPA-free bottles, sippy cup and feeding accessories have always been on our favorites list especially because all of their products are free of Bisphenol-A (BPA), PVC, Phthalates, Lead, Melamine and Nitrosamines. It’s nice for parents to know that it’s possible to get a safe and affordable solution with a single company!
Website: www.thinkbabybottles.com (coming soon)
Our team spent a good deal of time checking out the Zoli products and understanding all of the care that goes into the design of each item. For busy parents, the On-the-Go formula and snack dispenser is so useful and easy to throw into your diaper bag when you’re off to your next errand or play date. We’ve also shown off the Munch teethers at our various mom groups/events and everyone wants one instantly. To top it off all of their products are not only functional and stylish but also BPA, Phthalate, Nitrosamine, PVC free.
Price: $15 (On-the-go), $5 (Munch-Clover)
Green/ non-toxic Diapering
So, we just ooh-ed and aww-ed when we watched a demo of GroVia’s products! GroVia™ Hybrid Test Drive Package is the perfect introduction for a new parent who wants to go cloth but wants to do it in baby steps. What’s so awesome about this system is that you can re-use the outer shell and change out the BioSoaker® as needed. The GroVia™ BioSoaker® is a perfect solution for cloth diapering on the go. You can use this system when on vacation, at day care, or running errands. Use the BioSoaker® sticky tabs to adhere to cotton underwear as trainers!
- 50 eco-friendly BioSoaker™
- 2 GroVia™ Shells
- Soft Cloth Outer Shell, fits 8-35lbs
- Fragrance & Dye Free
- Plastic & Chlorine Free
- Compost, dispose or flush
Jackson Reece Herbal Bio-degradable Wipes
We don’t know about you but wipes are a staple in our homes especially for dirty little hands and faces so we were more than pleased to find this product at ABC! Finally, a wipe that’s not full of icky chemicals and its biodegradable! Jackson Reece Herbal Baby Wipes are made for modern families, with a mild cleansing formula featuring natural ingredients derived from vegetable and plant extracts. The wipes are infused with a unique, natural balm containing a balanced blend of organic tea tree oil, aloe vera and essential oil of lavender. Jackson Reece Herbal Baby Wipes are gentle on babies’ delicate skin by using ingredients that are free of alcohol, parabens, chlorine, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), lanolin and phthalates. Don’t you want to go out and buy a pack right now?
Stuff to know:
- Suitable for hands, face and body
- Ingredients derived from renewable natural plant resources
- Gentle formula with balanced PH
- Alcohol, lanolin, phthalate and parabens free
- SLS & SLES free
- Hypo-allergenic and suitable for children with eczema and sensitive skin
- Packaging is degradable
Dandelion Classic Stacker, Organic Developmental Toy
Walking through the Dandelion booth at ABC made us want to go holiday shopping for baby gifts and who couldn’t resist the Stacker, a classic toy with a fresh look! The Stacker has soft textures and assorted sounds to enchant your baby (while developing fine motor and sensory skills). Learning really CAN be fun and safe since it’s made of organic cotton!
Stuff to know:
- Crinkly, squeak & rattle sounds
- Machine Washable
- Organic Cotton
- Piled Almost 10″ High
Sassy Bathtime Pals
If you’re a parent whose been searching high and low for BPA, PVC and Phthalate-free bath toys look no more! TheSoftLanding.com has done all of the research so you don’t have to lift a finger. It’s hard to find bath toys that don’t contain yucky chemicals and Sassy is one of the few companies that focuses on this. Your baby will have so much fun playing with Sassy’s Bathtime pals, a set of totally adorable bath toys that will keep baby busy in the tub!
Stuff to know:
The new Sassy Bathtime Pals give your little one even more bathtime fun! The vibrant colors & varied textures in these lively characters satisfy your kid’s imagination while functioning as squirt and float toys.